What is psychological abuse
Psychological abuse involves the regular and deliberate use of a range of words and non-physical actions used with the purpose to manipulate, hurt, weaken or frighten a person mentally and emotionally.
This type of abuse may include
- Accusation of cheating, signs of jealousy or possessiveness
- Attempts to control the victim’s behaviour
- Constantly arguing
- Isolating the individual from their family and friends
- Name-calling and verbal abuse
- Refusing to participate in the relationship
- Shaming or blaming
- Silent treatment
- Withholding affection and attention
This type of abuse may not be apparent at the outset of a relationship. Behaviours may begin so slowly that that may not be noticeable at first.